If you followed my blog last summer, you will remember that I started my Border Print Stars project here. I had to rip and re-sew, substitute fabrics, re-draft the border, and persevere through some tedious times. But I finished it!It really looks a lot like the EQ drawing that I started with last summer. I’m happy with how it turned out. Next I needed to decide if I would enter it as a show quilt. It’s a very nice, understated quilt that you need to look at closely to appreciate. The stars are fussy-cut from a border print – I think they are all different, but now I’ll have to go back and check that to be sure! Still, it’s not a glow-in-the-dark- knock-you-over-the-head show quilt.
But I decided to enter it anyway in the Minnesota Quilters Show – not because I hoped to win a ribbon, but because I wanted to challenge myself. It would be my first serious effort at quilting for show on the longarm, and it’s always good to support my state show! It would be entered in the Large Pieced category, so this was no small feat.
I wanted to do a wow(!) quilting design, but the block design is so traditional that I chose more traditional quilting designs to support the quilt as a whole. Here are some close-ups of feathers between the blocks:
The backgrounds of the blocks are linear and plain. The stars are very simply stitched with continuous curves. Those 3 elements were repeated many times, making this stitching easier to execute. The border has a similar-but-different feather, again repeated many times.
Everything shows up nicely thanks to a double layer of batting – 80/20 on the bottom and wool on the top. It was my first time working with a double batting and it was much harder than I expected!