Quiltmaker’s 100 Blocks

cover_arrowI’m so happy to announce that my block was chosen for Quiltmaker’s 100 Blocks magazine!  This is my first entry, and it’s shown on the cover too!  Look for it on the news stands on Tuesday, November 19.

My block, Diamonds Galore, is on page 37:

mag photoSome of you are familiar with me at Prairie Sky Quilting, but for many others, this is your first visit to my blog.  Welcome!

If you’re familiar with my work, you might be surprised by my block, because it’s foundation pieced – not what you’ve seen before in my patterns.  But if you’ve made a  Fun&Done! Quilting pattern, that uses a foundation piecing technique, in a simple quilt-as-you-go version – stitch & flip.  Maybe you didn’t realize that you already had some foundation piecing skills!  And if you’re really familiar with my work, you know that I’ve done show quilts in the past, and many of them were intricately foundation pieced.  I really enjoy that technique, so I wanted to work with it again.  And maybe I can convince some of you to try foundation piecing too.

Here is the block in a life-sized version:

Diamonds Galore 4It might not immediately capture your attention, but what if you made a whole quilt out of this block?  It would look like this:

full quilt 2That’s an interesting quilt design!

If you’re looking for a smaller project, how about a Tablerunner?

Tablerunner 2Or change the layout slightly for this version:

Tablerunner 1If you’re making this block, and you want it to look like this, I would recommend following the values as pictured, picking light/medium/dark fabrics as shown.  However, I say that knowing that many talented quilters will choose a completely different combination, and their quilt will look very different but equally nice.  Whatever your preference, if you make a quilt with this block, please send me a picture!

Quiltmaker is giving away a free copy of Quiltmaker’s 100 Block magazine.  To be entered in the drawing, please leave a comment by Friday, November 15, telling me if you enjoy foundation piecing, and do you prefer easy or challenging blocks?

Don’t forget to visit the other designers on the Quiltmaker’s 100 Block Blog Tour  this week.

Thanks for stopping by to visit!

This entry was posted in Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks. Bookmark the permalink.

263 Responses to Quiltmaker’s 100 Blocks

1. Darlene says:

I do like foundation piecing. I always have to remind myself to think backwards. After I get my thoughts adjusted, it goes well!

2. Audrey says:

I quite enjoy foundation piecing. Getting those points so accurate and matched is all the encouragement I need to undertake a project. I love your block. I probably would not attempt it if it was all piecing but with foundation piecing I can hardly wait to get my copy of Volume 8.

3. Connie Wood says:

love foundation piecing. All I can say is WOW about your block!

4. Kathy says:

What a great block. Personally I love paper piecing and am always amazed by the results when I do it. kathleendotlutzatcomcastdotnet

5. Lisa McGriff says:

This is one beautiful block. I love foundation piecing!! I also like a challenge! Lisa McGriff (at) hotmail (dot) com

6. Love your block! I’ve never tried foundation piecing.

7. Julie T says:

I do like foundation piecing and challenging block. Nice block, btw.

8. Elaine M says:

Yes…I love the preciseness of paper piecing. It allows us to make so many detailed geometric blocks!!

9. Laura says:

I enjoy paper piecing when it works. So it doesn’t matter to me the difficulty level as long as I have patience to get it to work. I really like your banner at the top of the page.

10. Andee Neff says:

I have recently started paper peicing..love it!

11. Pamela Reim says:

enjoy paper piecing but always seem to come up short on at least one piece!

12. Carla G says:

I haven’t tried paper piecing yet. I’m still a beginner quilter, but it’s on my list to learn. 🙂 Love your block! Thanks for showing a sample of a quilt – its fabulous! 🙂